Saturday, July 24, 2010

primitive

we lost power thursday night. we went to bed as normal but were awakened by the ferocious storm that came through. jon woke me up to tell me that the power had gone off. the children were soon awake and the waiting began. after setting up the generator, hooking up the pump and putting out the pvc piping, we waited. no one could go back to sleep, so me being the person i am, needed to have something to do with my hands. this is where the primitive comes in. I spun. for 2 hours I sat by candle light and spun. not even worried about what it would look like, I sat and just spun. I did not want to think about not having power, wondering what would be destroyed or if the trucks would start the next day. I spun. feeling the comfort of my foot going up and down, the wool slipping and being pulled thru my fingers to create a thing piece of yarn. listening to the rhythmic click of my wheel. all comforting sounds in the face of a stressful situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment